Thursday, November 28, 2013

What would the pilgrims say?

  I wonder what the pilgrims would say about the way their sacrifices would be celebrated.  On this day of Thankfulness, there are people camped outside various department stores across the United States in a battle for marked down bargains.  Imagine what the pilgrims would say if they heard about two strangers beating the crap out of one another for a marked down LCD television or a X Box One or whatever the else the department stores dangle in front of us bargain hungry vultures these days.  I've never gotten the whole concept of Black Friday myself.  Maybe it's because I don't have the people skills to tolerate a bunch of ill mannered cretins pushing and shoving their way towards a materialistic utopia of some kind.  But on this holiday of thanks, it's nice to turn on my television and be bombarded by a handsomely paid actor telling everyone that an employment dictatorship like Wal Mart is a place where employees bloom and prosper.  I wonder if the person who has to put up with the animals on a Black Friday at Wal Mart for nine bucks an hour would sing the praises of the afore mentioned corporate entity.  In one commercial the same handsomely paid actor says with pride how he started at Wal Mart as a cashier and then became a manager; a manager at the next Wal Mart opened up after the union busting giant squeezed another small business into submission more than likely.  So this is Thanksgiving.  Wal Mart propaganda running in a loop, people working for peanuts slinging burgers at McDonalds, and super stores dangling the karat of Black Friday OT in front of workers that aren't paid enough to begin with.

  I imagine I'll be making this same post on Christmas.  Christmas, the day that the entity hovering above us celebrates his or her birth day and people across the land spend the day bitching about what they didn't get while the interest on their credit cards accounts accumulate at light  speed.  But for me the most unbearable of the holidays is probably new years.  See I can avoid the materialism of Christmas and the inhumanity of Thanksgiving day shoppers but New Years is another matter entirely.  I am currently a singleton and a recovering...... well I'm recovering..... It's a long and complicated story for another time.  It's a quandary I think.  What does a middle aged singleton do on New Years eve if they are a solo, booze free entity?  There's always the cine plex.  Perhaps I'll buy a ticket for the Hunger Games and swoon over the lovely Jennifer Lawrence while I'll digest some popcorn and ponder how my life jumped the tracks at some point.  Bottoms up everyone and happy shopping!!!!

No comments: