Saturday, May 7, 2011

For Momma

  Well Momma, this is the first Mothers Day I'll spend without you.  I'd rather be
celebrating Momma's day with you in real time but as a good friend pointed out;
you are beyond this world of doctors and finger pricks and meds.  You have gone
home.  And while the people who love you still process the void
of your passing, those who love you also rejoice in the lessons that
you taught all of us these past few years.  Speaking for myself, you taught me
a lesson about grace and courage that I will hopefully be able to pass onto my
own children someday.  While I am sad for the loss of our Saturdays I am grateful
for the fact that I got to know you again.  You used to ask me if the commute
was a problem for me.  It never was momma, it never was.  All of those bus
rides and all of those Saturdays helped me to find you again.  I carry you with me
momma.  I am stubborn like you and I am tenacious like you.  Like you, I simply
don't know how to quit.  Most sons or daughters have one moment of reconnection
with their parents before fate intervenes and the connection is broken forever.
I had four years in which to know you and love you overall again.  I hope that
I made the most of my second chance.  I hope that our Saturdays brought you
as much happiness as they brought me.  I hope that I can make the most of the lessons
that you taught me and I hope that I can be as half as brave as you were.  Happy Mothers
Day Momma, I love you.

3 comments:

elizabeth ramirez said...

They meant alot to her uncle danny she always talked about them with me they made her really happy. I miss her alot to but i know shes at peace now.

Christine Ramirez said...

That was absolutely beautiful Danial. It did make me shed a few tears, it was so eloquently written. I am so very grateful I got to be her daughter-in-law, so grateful that I got to know her. I don't think she knew it, but I learned more from her, than she would say she learned from me! Grace. Humility. Courage in living, Courage through a long illness, Courage and accepance in leaving this earthly world. I believe with everything I've got that she's so happy, she's our angel from above and she wants us all to be happy and live our lives in a way that would make her proud; (tall order). It was my honor to have known her:) Thanks for such a great tribute, to "Mamma" as I called her. Love you Danial:)

Ima Wizer said...

Very nice.........